KOTA KINABALU: Sabah will only decide on Wednesday (Oct 13) if it will follow the Federal government’s decision to allow interstate travel, says state Covid-19 spokesman Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun (pic).

With only 65% of the adult population in Sabah fully vaccinated, he said the state Covid-19 management committee would deliberate the matter and submit its recommendation to the state Cabinet when it meets on Wednesday (Oct 13).

“The Sabah Cabinet will make the decision,” he said on Sunday (Oct 10) adding that Sabah had yet to reach the 90% threshold set by the Federal government to allow interstate travel.

He said inter-district travel in Sabah was only allowed in five zones and travelling in or out of districts which have not crossed the 60% threshold was not allowed.

“We are still under the (five) zone system. We will announce the state’s decision on Wednesday,” he added.

Sabah’s vaccination progress lags behind the rest of the country, with seven districts below the 60% threshold on Oct 1.

State officials are sending out more teams to drive up the vaccination rate in rural and far flung areas as well as urban areas in Sandakan and Tawau.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced that interstate travel would now be allowed in the peninsula as 90% of the country’s adult population had been fully vaccinated.

However, Sabah’s continues to record a lower number of Covid-19 cases daily.

On Sunday, Masidi said the state recorded 562 new cases, a decrease of 199 cases from the day before.

He said that it was the lowest figure recorded since July 24, 2021.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *